Obattu is a sweet flatbread from south part of India, In other region it is known as Puran poli. It is made on Ugadi and Varmaha lakshmi festival days in south India.
I first had it at my friend's house. They celebrate ugadi and make Obattu. This is the most important part of prasadam. It is made using Maida (all purpose flour). Knead maida and soak in oil for some time and then fill with chana dal ( yellow split lentils ) and jaggery, Cardamom powder and coconut.
There are various versions of this recipe. Some make this using Toor dal. Traditionally this sweet is made using maida but I replaced with wheat flour to make it more healthy.
Try this recipe hope you like it!
Obattu Whole Wheat Recipe ( Puran Poli )
Servings - 7
Ingredients for dough
- Whole wheat flour - 1 1/2 cup
- Water - 3/4 cup
- Oil - 1 tbsp
Ingredients for filling
- Chana dal - 1/2 cup
- Jaggery powder - 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
- Coconut grated - 2 tbsp
- First soak chana dal for 30 minutes in water.
- After dal is soaked drain out water. In a pressure cooker add 1 cup water and boil for 4-5 whistles until tender but not mushy. Discard any leftover water.
- Meanwhile dal is cooling down, In a bowl add flour now start adding water gradually until it comes together to a smooth dough. let it rest for at least 30 minutes..
- When dal is cooled grind it along with jaggery powder, cardamom powder and coconut to a smooth paste.
- Now transfer this paste to a pan and saute on medium heat till water is evaporated and it comes together as a dough. let this cool completely
- Out of this filling make small balls of equal sizes.
- Out of the flour dough make balls of equal sizes and roll it out.
- Take one ball of dough and flatten it out now take filling ball keep it on top and cover it with dough.
- Now start rolling like chapati. Then cook on greased tawa until golden. Apply little oil, cook from both sides.
- Now serve with ghee or rabri.