Rabri | Thickened Milk
Rabri is thickened milk, that is simmered on low heat and has various nuts and saffron. It takes a lot of time to cook but end result is so satisfying It has rich and melt in mouth texture.
Rabri is best served with jalebi, malpua and many more dishes. It can be served hot, warm, chilled.
In this recipe i have used full fat milk, because it gives thick and creamy rabri.
added some nuts like almonds, pistachios. you can add or skip nuts according to preference. i have added rose essence and saffron, which gives very nice aroma to the sweet.
- Milk - 5 cups around 1.5 liter
- Sugar - 5 tbsp
- Cardamom Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Saffron - 10 to 12
- Almonds blanched and sliced - 8 to 10
- Pistachios for garnishing - 4 to 5
- Rose essence - 1/2 tsp
- Add milk in heavy bottom pan on medium heat and bring it to boil.
- Once it is boiled reduce heat to low and boil again.
- Take 1-2 tbsp of milk in a small bowl. Add saffron strands and let it rest, will use it later.
- When you see there is cream layer on top of milk with a spatula, stick that cream to the side of pan. and stir the milk so that it don't get burnt.
- Then boil again and Keep collecting the cream. and stirring the milk.
- Now blanch almonds by soaking it in warm water for 30 mins. once these are soaked peel the skin and chop.
- Once milk is half add saffron, cardamom powder and sugar and boil again.
- When milk is 1/4th of it's original quantity then scrape the collected cream from side and mix in the milk.
- Switch off the gas. Now add rose essence, half of the almonds and stir.
- Garnish with pistachios and almonds Serve chilled or warm.
- For best result use full cream milk.
- Boil milk in heavy bottom pan so that it doesn't burn.