Rasgulla or Rosogulla light spongy paneer balls in sugar syrup, very popular Indian sweet. Need no further introduction. This is my favorite sweet. whenever i make paneer at home i save some for rasgulla. First time when i made a few years back they came out a little hard. So for making perfect spongy rasgulla knead the cheese for atleast ten minutes.
I tried making rasgulla with different type of milks. But i like it more with 2% milk it gives the perfect spongy texture. The process is similar to making paneer at home and then knead and boil, though sounds a long process. But worth trying!!
Servings - 6 piece
- Homemade Paneer - 1 cup
- Water - 5 cups
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
- Rose essence (optional) - 2 drops
- Saffron strands - 8 to 10
- First add water and sugar in a pan bring it to a boil.
- Knead the paneer well using hands into a smooth dough. It will take about 10 mins.
- Now make equal size small balls out of the dough, there should not be any cracks.
- Once the sugar and water mixture starts boiling add cardamom powder and rose essence.
- Now add paneer balls one by one.
- Cover the pot with lid and let it cook for 10 mins on medium heat.
- Check after 10 mins paneer balls will be double in size.
- Allow rasgulla to rest in the same water and cool completely.
- Serve chilled.
- For best results make paneer at home.