Turnips (Shalgam in hindi) vegetable is a member of Radish family that has mild taste, this vegetable is packed with many nutrients. Many kids don't like to eat because of it's taste. when buying this vegetable select smaller one as Bigger turnips can be bitter in taste and much harder to cook. smaller (young) turnips tend to have sweeter taste.
This recipe is very simple and quick to cook in Punjabi style as it is cooked with onion and tomato. These two are main ingredients in every punjabi dish. I added spices like cumin, garam masala, mango powder and little bit sugar just to balance the tangy flavor.
let's go through the ingredients.
Shalgam (Shaljam) Ki Sabzi
- Shalgam(Turnip) - 500 gms
- Onion Cut in pieces - 1 big
- Tomato chopped - 1 big
- Water 1/2 cup
- Ginger and Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Mango Powder - 1 tsp
- Green Chili Cut in rounds - 1
- Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
- First wash, peel and cut shalgam into small pieces.
- Add oil in a pressure cooker let this heat up.
- Once oil is hot add cumin seeds let them crackle then add ginger, garlic paste. saute for 10 - 20 seconds.
- Now add Onions and fry till brown in color then add cut tomatoes and green chili.
- When tomato is soft add salt, turmeric, garam masala, sugar, mango powder and cook till you see oil leaves the side.
- Now add chopped turnips, water and mix.
- Cover and cook for 1 whistle on medium heat after that lower the heat and cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes switch off the gas and let the pressure go by itself.
- Garnish with cilantro(coriander leaves).
- Serve with roti or paratha.