Green Gram(Moong Dal) is delicious dal cooked with onion and tomato and Indian spices. Anyone can cook this dal very easy and yummy. This dal can be served with rice and roti.
This recipe i am sharing with you is my Mom's recipe. Back in india i grew up eating this dal almost 1-2 times a week with rice and roti. Whenever i cook this dal it just reminds me of my mom who lives in India.
This dal recipe is so easy there is not much to do, Just soak dal for sometime, then boil and prepare tempering. If using pressure cooker no need to soak overnight One hour is good enough. But if not using pressure cooker then soak overnight. You can always make this dal in instantpot, for instant pot no need to do tempering seperately. Just throw everything in and Ta Da..
Whole Green Moong Lentil ( Moong Dal) Recipe
- Whole Green Moong dal - 1 cup
- Water - 3 cups
- Tomato - 1 chopped
- Onion - 1 chopped
- Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Hing (Asafoetida) - A pinch
- Garlic Chopped - 2 cloves
- Ginger chopped
- Green Chili - 1cut
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- First soak moong dal for one hour in water.
- After dal is soaked, In a heated pressure cooker add 3 cups of water along with moong dal.
- Set the heat to medium.
- Add Salt, cover and cook for 2 whistles.
- Remove the lid and check if dal is ready. keep it aside
- Start making tempering for Dal (lentils).
- Add 1 tbsp of oil in a heated pan. Add Hing(Asafoetida), Cumin seeds let them crackle a little bit.
- Now add garlic and ginger saute till it changes color.
- Once garlic and ginger is done add onions and cook till brown in color, but don't burn them.
- Add Tomato, Green chili, red chili powder, Coriander powder and cook till it is mushy.
- Add this tempering to cooked lentils(dal) and if you want add cilantro(coriander leaves).
- serve hot with rice, paratha or roti.