Tapioca perls are cooked in milk and with dry fruits and saffron, It gives a nice aroma and color to this dessert. First you have to soak sabudana for some time, soaking reduces the cooking time of sabudana.
Sabudana Kheer (Tapioca Pudding)
- Tapioca Pearls (Sabudana) - 1/2 cup
- Milk - 2 cups
- Sugar - 1/4 cup
- Cardamom Powder - a pinch
- Saffron Strands - 5 to 6
- Pistachio cut thinly - 5 to 6
- First wash and soak Tapioca pearls in water for about 2 hours. This will be double in size after soaking.
- Start boiling milk in a heated pan on medium to high heat. Add 1/4 cup water, It prevents milk from sticking to bottom of pan.
- Once milk starts to boil reduce heat to medium. And let it boil for 8-10 minutes, stirring in between.
- Once milk is half of original quantity add soaked tapioca after draining water.
- Start boiling again till tapioca pearls becomes tranparent.
- Add sugar, cardamom powder, saffron strand and pistachio.
- Let this cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Serve chilled.