Stuffed Karela (Bitter Gourd) Karela one of the most bitter vegetable but this vegetable has so many health banefits that you will fall in love with this bitter vegetable..
It fights against diabetes which is now a days very common health issue. My mom used to make karela once in every 2 weeks. So this stuffed karela recipe is my mom's..I followed her instructions..
Here is the steps with picutres..
First remove the skin. Karela skin is very healthy so every time i make karela i cook this skin also alongwith seeds if seeds are soft..
Make a slit in center lengthwise..
After removing skin remove seeds from the karela using some spoon. Reserve the seeds ( if seeds are soft).
Add Little salt in skin and seeds and wash the same way as karela after squeezing water.
To make it less bitter sprinkle salt and rest it for at least an hour, more is fine.
Then Squeeze out all the water and run through fresh water..
Now prepare the stuffing for karela chopped onion fry in pan with ginger and along with skin and seeds
Now add all the spices Turmeric, salt, red chili, fennel powder, mango powder, garam masala and fry.
Stuff karela with prepared stuffing.
Tie using a thread tightly so that all the stuffing do not come out.
In a pan add oil and shallow fry karela . Once brown turn and fry from other side.
Bharwan Karela - Stuffed Bitter Gourd Recipe
- Small Karela (Bitter Gourd) - 7 to 8
- Onion finely Chopped - 1 big
- Ginger - 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala - 1 tsp
- Fennel Powder - 1 tsp
- Dry Mango Powder - 1 tsp
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Red Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp
- First Rinse and peel the karela. Keep little amt. Karela skin for stuffing(optional).
- Make a vertical slit in Karela, Scoop out the seeds with spoon.
- Now take these karela in a bowl add salt and keep on rest for 30 minutes. this is to reduce the bitterness of karela. Do the same thing with karela skin as well.
- After 30 minutes squeeze out the water that is collected during rest time and wash karela and it's skin. Keep aside.
- Start making stuffing Heat oil in a pan, Add ginger and onions. Fry for about 3-4 minutes.
- Then add little amt of seeds and karela skin and fry for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, garam masala, salt, red chili powder, dry mango powder, fennel powder.
- fry for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Now stuff this prepared masala in to the karela and tie the thread around each karela, so that stuffing don not come out while frying.
- Now in a pan add little oil and shallow fry all the stuffed karela till all sides are done.
- just before serving karela remove the thread and serve with roti or paratha.