Matar Kulcha | Chole Chaat - Matar kulcha is the most popular finger licking street food in north indian. stuffed kulcha with matar chole is my all time favorite streetfood. You can see many roadside vendors selling this chaat in northern part of india specially delhi and punjab this is known as matra
White matar/peas are used for this recipe. There are many recipes that can be made using white peas ragda paatice, chole kulche. In this Matar chaat i used chutney's and lemon to give that tangy flavor with onions tomatoes and some spices.
Matar is soaked 4-5 hours then boil sometimes when cooked with lot of water it becomes mushy, to avoid that just keep the water level 1 inch above the matar in cooker, water quantity totally depends on soaking time. i would just suggest to follow the exact recipe.
- 2 cups matar/white peas
- 3 cups water or more
- 1 1/2 tsp salt to boil matar
- onion chopped
- tomatoes chopped
- ginger an inch
- 2 green chili
- 1tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp red chili
- 1 tsp black salt
- coriander leaves
- tamarind chutney
- green chutney
- to make the matar first wash and soak them 4-5 hours.
- then drain water and add in cooker with 3 cups of water.
- add salt cover the lid and cook for 3 whistles, turn off the flame and let the pressure go by itself.
- check if cooked if needed add little more water and cook again.
- once cooked let them cool down a bit.
- then transfer the cooked matar in a bowl and start adding onion, tomatoes,ginger, green chili, garam masala, chaat masala, black salt, red chili powder.
- add tamarind chutney and green chutney.
- mix well and add more onion tomatoes chutney's while serving.
- or you can just warm kulcha, make a pocket and stuff the matar filling and enjoy.