Idli Dosa Uttapam Batter
Idli dosa are south Indian cuisine which is popular not only in indian but all over the world. It is popular as breakfast in south india.
Idli is made by steaming the fermented Dal and rice batter Dosa and uttapam can be made using the same batter.
Growing up in north indian family i never knew how to make idli dosa batter for us idli was only made with suji. it was mainly a restaurant food whenever we wanted to eat idli and dosa, we had to go to restaurant
but then came to united states where i met a few south indian friends who taught me to make perfect batter for soft and spongy idli and crispy dosa.
How To Prepare
In Preparing the batter Urad Dal and idli rice is needed. Idli rice are very different from other rice it is very short grain parboiled rice and can only be used in making
Urad dal is black skinned lentils it comes in two forms whole and split. you can use either of the two.
Rice and dal ratio plays an important role in softer and spongy idlis. i have used dal to rice 1:3
1. First step is to wash idli rice and urad dal with water until water runs clear, Soak dal and rice in seperate bowl with enough water for 4-5 hours.
2. next step is to grind them, traditionally a wet grinder is used but i am not able to find that here in united states.
i am using my Cosori mixer grinder and grinding in small quantity so that the grinder don't heat up, i use cold water to grind them. Grind both separately and then mix together later.
3. The batter should not be too runny or too thick, add 1/4 cup water to 1 cup rice. grind and if you think it's getting thick or hard to grind add more water and grind to smooth batter. same way grind dal too.
Mix both batters into a big bowl add 1/2 tsp of sendha salt (roack salt), it helps with fermentation. Mix batter using your hands the warmth of hands helps in fermentation.
4. next step is to ferment the batter if you are living in a warm place then you can cover and keep the batter anywhere in the kitchen or countertop and ferment for atleast 8-10 hours.
in a colder place or colder climate you can keep the batter in a microwave covered with light blanket or in oven with oven light on. it may take upto 15 hours to ferment the batter.
5. after 15 hours batter is ready to make idlis, you will see batter increased in volume and frothy and bubbles.
6. Now to make idli with this batter, grease idli molds and pour a tablespoon batter and steam for 10 minutes in a steamer filled with little water.
With the same batter Uttapam and Kids Idli can be made. Serve with sambar and chutney
Idli Dosa Batter
- 3 cups idli rice
- 1 cup whole Urad dal
- 1 tsp rock salt
- Rinse urad dal under running water till you see water is clean, then soak urad dal with enough water for 4-5 hours.
- rinse idli rice under running water same way like dal and soak for 5-6 hours.
- after 5 hours drain the water from rice add it to the grinder, add 1/2 cup to 1 cup ice cold water in rice and grind.. add more water if needed.
- transfer the ground rice to a big bowl, grind dal with 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice cold water and transfer it to same bowl with ground rice.
- add salt and start mixing with your hands for 2 minutes. it helps in fermentation.
- now cover the bowl with lid and keep in warm place undisturbed for 12-14 hours.
- after 14 hours batter will be increased in volume and well fermented frothy and bubbly.
- to make idli add 2 cups water in a steamer and grease idli moulds, add batter in mold and steam for 10-12 minutes until idli is done.
- serve idli with sambar and chutney.
- store remaining batter in refrigerator for 5-6 days.