Vada Pav | Wada Pao
One of the popular street food of mumbai that no one can resist. It is sold in (Thelas) stalls and restaurants. A hot cup of Tea and vada pav makes a good rainy day snack
This is made by sandwiching potato vada (which is a spicy potato filling) between pao (burger ) bread garlic chuntey, green and tamarind chutney.
It is served with fried green chilis.
Chura - One of the thing i really like in vada pav is CHURA. chura is drops of gram flour batter when frying vada in oil. or you can make it separate.
Tips to store
Garlic chutney can be made ahead for this recipe and stored in fridge.
Aloo vada can be deep fried and freeze for using later.
if there is moisture in garlic chutney add more dried coconut.
How To Prepare
1.First Make the Potato vada/Bonda
2.Make dry garlic chutney
3.make green and tamarind chutney (or you can buy from store)
Making Aloo Vada
vada is made by deep frying potato balls, first potato is boiled and mashed then a tempering is made with mustard seeds, ginger garlic, green chili, curry leaves, and some spices.
after tempering aloo is added in this and mixed well, make small balls with this mixture.
then a batter is prepared with gram flour and water and these aloo balls are coated with the batter and then deep fried in hot oil.
Dry Garlic Chutney
garlic chutney is made with garlic, coconut, peanuts, sesame and red chili. Spice level can be adjusted for this chutney, i used Kashmiri red chili to give red color and less spice.
this chutney is dry but garlic can add to the moisture so add more coconut to make it dry.
It can be stored in air tight container for a week in refrigerator.
How To Assemble
Assembling vada pav is really simple cut pav bread in half, spread all three chutneys green chutney tamarind chutney and sprinkle garlic chutney.
put fried vada on pav sprinkle more chutney if you want, spread fried chura and enjoy with fried green chili.
Ingredients for making potato vada
- 2 big boiled and mashed potato (aloo)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp ginger chopped
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
- 1 green chili if less spicy
- 4-5 curry leaves
- a pinch Asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt or as needed
- Coriander leaves (dhaniya)
- Oil for deep frying
Ingredients for gram flour batter
- 1 cup gram flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red chili
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- water as required to make smooth batter
Ingredients for garlic chutney
- 1 tbsp oil
- 8-10 garlic peeled
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 3/4 cup dry coconut
- 1 1/2 tbsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tsp salt or as per taste
- pav bread
- aloo vada
- garlic chutney
- tamarind chutney
- green chutney
- chura (optional)
- Fried green chilis (optional)
- Prepare garlic chutney by adding 1 tbsp oil in a heated pan, add garlic cloves and fry till little brown.
- Now add sesame seeds and peanuts fry till changes color, switch off heat and add kashmiri red chili powder.
- let this cool completely, then add salt and grind in to a powder.
- Prepare vada Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan add mustard seeds once seeds start spluttering add garlic, ginger green chili, curry leaves, asafoetida fry for 30 seconds.
- add turmeric powder and remove from heat.
- add this to mashed potato along with salt and coriander leaves, mix everything well.
- once cooled make equal size of potato balls with filling, keep aside.
- prepare batter In a mixing bowl add gram flour, salt, red chili powder, baking soda. Add water and whisk into a smooth batter.
- dip each ball into prepared gram flour batter and deep fry in hot oil fry them on medium heat till golden brown in color. take them out on kitchen or paper towel.
- fry chura as well and take out already fried chura that went along with potato vada when frying.
- fry green chili, fry this carefully as it bursts in oil.
- take a pav bread and slice in half apply green chutney on one side and tamarind chutney on other upper side.
- sprinkle dry garlic chutney, keep vadas on top add more chunteys spared fried chura close and enjoy with fried chilis and a hot cup of tea.