Dal Makhni | Creamy Black Lentils
when it comes to party/wedding or any get together lunch or dinner this dal is a must on menu. This creamy dal is made with black lentils(whole Urad Dal) and red kidney beans(rajma).
The dish gets it's thickness from simmering on low for few hours and with added cream that's why it's named as "makhni".
Authentic dal makhni is made by simmering dal in clay pot for many hours. but these days no body has time to sit beside the dal and see it cooking. so pressure cooker is used to cut the cooking time.
How To Prepare
In this recipe i have used black lentils and rajma which is soaked for 8 hours. soaking is the main step of cooking any type of dal, It cuts the cooking time.
After soaking dal is pressure cooked for few whistles on medium heat tilll it is soft.
Masala paste is made with onions, tomato and other indian spices.
dal is added to masala and cooked on low heat for few minutes so that it turns thick and creamy.
this dal can be eaten with rice, naan and laccha paratha.
Ingredients for pressure cooking
- 3/4 cup Urad dal( Black Lentils)
- 1/4 cup rajma(kidney beans)
- 3 cups water to cook dal
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 black cardamom
Ingredients for masala
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 2 cubes butter
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- asafoetida(Hing) a pinch
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- thinly sliced ginger an inch
- 1 green chili
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 cup water
- fresh corinader leaves
- 2 tbsp cream
- first wash the dal and rajma for couple of times.
- soak in suffecient water for 7-8 hours.
- now drain the water and wash it once with fresh water.
- in a pressure cooker add dal alongwith 3 cups of water.
- add bay leaf, black cardamom, salt.
- mix, pressure cook for 9 whistles on medium heat.
- let the pressure go by itself, then open the lid and check if it's done.
- mash dal little bit by using potato masher, keep aside.
- take a pan add oil and butter and let it heat up.
- add cumin seeds, asafoetida, green cardamom cook for 10 seconds.
- add chopped onion, ginger garlic paste fry till soft.
- add thinly sliced ginger and green chili, cook 20 seconds.
- now add tomato puree and let this get little bit thick till it seperates oil.
- add salt, turmeric, garam masala, corinader powder, kashmiri red chili cook 30 seconds.
- add cooked dal and 1 cup of water little bit of fresh coriander, cover and cook 15 minutes on low heat.
- check in between so that it don't stick to the bottom
- add more water if needed.
- add 2 tbsp cream mix, it will turn creamy as soon as you will add cream, if needed add more cream.
- Serve with any indian bread.