Rajma | Kidney Beans Curry
Rajma is kidney beans in english it is very popular in northern part of indian. There are many verities of kidney beans available in market.
The small red ones, light color and dark red kidney beans, large speckled beans, light speckled kidney beans and many more.
But mostly red kidney beans and light colored speckled beans are used in indian housholds. In this recipe i hev used red kidney beans.
About This Recipe
Rajma curry is made by soaking beans for overnight and cooked with onions tomato and indian spices. It is Best served with rice or roti . i personally prefer with rice
This recipe is made one pot style a little time saving version. In this i have cooked rajma along with masala. This way i think all the aroma of spices are cooked well along with rajma.
i soaked rajma for 5-6 hours with enough water but if planning to cook next day, soak it a night before and cook next day.
How To Prepare
1. Soak Rajma with enough water for 5-6 hours or overnight if plan to cook next day.
2. Heat ghee/oil in pressure cooker, add bay leaf, cumin seeds. cook until cumin splutter, add ginger garlic and cook until raw smell goes away.
3. Now add chopped, grated or pureed onions saute until it changes color.
4. when onion are cooked add tomato paste and cook till oil separates, add all the spices garam masala, red chili, salt, turmeric, coriander powder.. cook 30 seconds.
5. Drain the water from rajma and rinse with fresh water add it to the pressure cooker, add water and mix well.
6. cover and cook on medium flame for 4-5 whistle turn off heat and let the pressure go by itself. check if cooked by pressing the rajma.
7. Add kasuri methi (dried fenugreek ).
8. Now if you want gravy then you can stop after the above step, but if you want thick gravy cook another ten minutes uncovered. mash the rajma ltiile bit for thicker gravy.
9. After cooling the gravy gets more thick so add water accordingly.
- 1.5 cups rajma (red kidney beans)
- enough water for soaking rajma
- 3-4 tbsp oil or ghee
- 2 tej patta (bay leaf)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- a pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1tsp each chopped ginger garlic
- 1 big onion chopped or pureed
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 3 cups water for cooking
- kasuri methi or cilantro for garnishing
- first soak rajma with enough water for 5 to 6 hours or overnight.
- after that drain the water and rinse with clean water keep aside.
- in a pressure cooker add oil, once oil is hot add bay leaf, cumin seeds and asafoetida cook 20 seconds.
- add chopped ginger and garlic, cook till raw smell goes away.
- add chopped onion, saute till it changes color.
- now add pureed tomato and cook till oil separates.
- add salt, turmeric, coriander powder, garam masala, red chili powder, cook 30 seconds.
- add rinsed rajma mix well add 3 cups of water, cover the lid and cook for 4-5 whistles on medium heat.
- cook till it is soft check by pressing beans, mash the beans with a laddle little bit, add kasuri methi.
- if there is more water in rajma, simmer it 10 minutes on medium flame till it gets thick.
- enjoy with rice or roti